12.07.2014

Doggy Birthday Carrot Cake

Someone at Lemon Pantry turned two this weekend!  My basset hound mix Penny celebrated her second birthday with me in style.  I made her a doggy birthday cake both this year and last but I updated the recipe a bit and thought I would share incase any of you are as dog-lady crazy as I am.  You know this recipe is a keeper because it's always gone in under 60 seconds.
I cook the cake in a bread pan to get a rectangle that can be cut into a bone or other shape easily.  I usually do a Google Image search for a cartoon bone, print and then lay the shape on the cake and cut around it with a knife.  I then mix together some plain Greek yogurt and peanut butter for frosting and you can decorate with a Milkbone or cut a straw into a "candle".
I'll leave you with a peek at some of my favorite pictures of my rescue girl from this past year.  Happy 2nd Birthday, Penny!










Doggy Birthday Carrot Cake 

Ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat or brown rice flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg
1 cup shredded carrots
1/4 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup honey

Frosting:
2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt
2 Tbsp peanut butter

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Mix flour and baking soda together.  Incorporate rest of ingredients and mix well.  Grease a bread pan with a small amount of oil.  Add batter to pan in an even layer.  Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.  Let cool for 20 minutes and flip pan upside down to remove.  Use stencil to cut out a bone or other shape if desired (discard the rest or serve to dog party guests).  Mix frosting in small bowl. Frost and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment