10.13.2014

30 Minute Pumpkin Seeds

I don't know how, but every year I manage to forget that pumpkin seeds take next to forever to cook. So this week while carving pumpkins it was 10PM before I said, "I'll make the pumpkin seeds!  Wait, they take AN HOUR?!"  Who has that kind of time?  Certainly not me and my hungry tummy.

I was so happy to come across the Oh She Glows blog post on boiling pumpkin seeds first to speed up the process (and to avoid just increasing the oven temperature because those babies will burn.)  I had so much success with this method I will definitely be doing it again and thought I would share how I made quick, easy pumpkin seeds by 10:30PM. As you can see we had a crazy amount of pumpkins and therefore seeds which means there were some left for the next day or two.  I reheated them up in the toaster oven for a few minutes to enjoy a crunchy, salty protein, fiber and vitamin packed snack.  Truly, is there anything better?

Let me know what you think of this method and I'd love to hear how it works for you! Thanks for reading!





Ingredients:
Pumpkin seeds
Olive oil
Salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Rinse and clean pumpkin seeds.  Add seeds to a medium size soup pot filled half-way with water and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.  Pour seeds into a strainer and pat dry with a paper towel.

Spread seeds in a thin layer on a baking sheet and drizzle about 1 tablespoon of oil over the top and sprinkle lightly with salt.  Bake for 10 minutes and toss seeds.  Bake for about another 10 minutes although time may vary depending on your oven. Allow to cool slightly and enjoy.

If you have any remaining seeds left over the next day, place them in a toaster oven for a few minutes or microwave for 20-30 seconds.

Nutrition Facts for 1/2 cup serving plain pumpkin seeds: 142 Calories, 6g Fat, 17g Carbohydrates, 6g Protein, 6g Fiber, 6mg Sodium.  Also, a good source of Potassium and an excellent source of Magnesium.

No comments:

Post a Comment