3.21.2015

Crab and Avocado Salad with Chive Dressing


I must be dreaming.  Spring is here and all I can think about is warmer weather and heading to the ocean.  The snow storm planned for this weekend is not exactly cooperating with my train of thought, however.  Once it warms up a teensy bit and some of the snow melts you can bet I'll be taking Penny to the beach for a walk!
This week I broke the Cardinal Rule and grocery shopped while hungry, starving really, after I just finished a Body Attack class.  I think it must have subconsciously motivated me to be healthy because I spent a small fortune on the healthiest, most organic and convenient things I could get my hands on.  We're talking coconut water, maple almond butter, and all the fruit and vegetables I could carry.  In the mix were some pre-sliced brussels sprouts (See what I mean?).  Anyway, I grilled them up that night on my grill pan and they were delicious!  With some of the smaller, left over leaves I have been throwing them into salads and they add some crunch and a really mild flavor. I encourage you to try them!  I have never been a fan of the frozen, boiled to death, mushy type brussels sprouts but the fresh ones I can get on board with!
I stumbled upon a similar recipe here and while I couldn't get down with anchovies in my dressing, I did know that I would need to recreate this.  This version is really light and fresh and the dressing really puts it over the top.  If anyone needs me, I'll be over here eating this salad and dreaming of the ocean and warmer days.






Crab and Avocado Salad
Serves 2

Ingredients:
2 cups mixed greens
1/4 cup brussels sprout leaves
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, pitted and diced
1 6-oz can of crabmeat, drained (or 4oz cooked, fresh crabmeat)
1 piece of wheat bread
1 teaspoon olive oil

Chive Dressing:
Juice of 1 lemon
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 tablespoon chives, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
Chili powder to taste

Directions:
Whisk together ingredients for dressing in a small bowl. Set aside.
Drizzle 1 teaspoon olive oil on piece of bread.  Cut into 1 inch cubes and toast until golden brown.
On a serving plate, place mixed greens, brussels sprout leaves, cherry tomatoes and avocado.  Next, place croutons on top of salad and then gently flake crabmeat on top.   Drizzle dressing on top and serve.

Nutrition Facts:  495 Calories, 27.5g Fat, 50.5g Carbohydrate, 15.5g Protein, 14g Fiber, 858mg Sodium, 858mg Potassium

No comments:

Post a Comment