8.02.2015

A Year's Worth of...Fails?

In the past year, I have to say I’ve had a lot of fun whipping up some really yummy meals for myself.  But I’ve also had my share of less than blog-worthy failures.  Like pretty epic failures.  And what do you know, I decided to share them with you.  Call me crazy but maybe you’re interested.  Maybe not.  Anyways, here we go!

Grilled Pizza – So here I attempted to make pizza without yeast since I didn’t have any and then tried to grill the darn thing.  To avoid the pizza from falling through the grill, I didn’t want to make the crust too thick but this resulted in an unevenly cooked, tough, overall not good pizza.  Blasphemy.

Poppy Seed Muffins – MY FAVORITE.  However, they are my grandmother’s recipe and I thought that 1 ½ CUPS baking powder just had to be a typo.  I mean, that is a LOT of baking powder no matter how large the batch.  Anyways, I decided to try only 1 ½ Tablespoons and ended up with a sad, sad batch of fallen baked goods.  For the record, this is not my first time ruining this recipe, either.  I think from now on, I’ll leave the baking to someone else.

Sweet Potato PancakesOn one of the blogs I like to read, I came across 2 ingredient sweet potato pancakes made with egg and cooked sweet potato blended together then pan-fried.  I added the optional almond milk and discovered quickly that you need to cook these babies on a HIGH heat.  Otherwise, you end up with sweet potato scramble which is yummy, sure, but definitely not photo-worthy.  At least by the last pancake I figured it out.  

Dairy-Free Paleo Eggnog – Just…don’t.  I think there are enough warning signs in that title to deter you but clearly there wasn’t enough for me.  The taste was not like any eggnog I’ve ever tried and when attempting to incorporate the eggs, we ended up scrambling them into an unappetizing mess. Sure, we tried to strain out the egg and even added amaretto to mask the awful, awful flavor but somehow we were still surprised that this one just didn’t taste good.  I’ll be sticking with the full-fat version this year and loving every sip.


Enchilada Lasagna/Casserole – There was nothing wrong with this recipe.  In fact, it is delicious!  Unfortunately, it came from Pinterest and finding the exact same recipe has proven to be unsuccessful and therefore, I can’t share it with you (or myself).  It’s my own fault for not actually PINNING the PIN on PINTEREST.


1 comment:

  1. Ali,

    We all have our own epic cooking failures, that's what helps us get to our good stuff. Thanks for posting your hardships and knowing that with cooking comes many messes, and in some of those messes comes many sweet surprises. You Rock!

    Naomi D.

    ReplyDelete