8.31.2016

Lentil Taco Salad

This meatless version of taco filling is the perfect topping for any taco salad.  However, the inspiration behind this recipe was from some lentil quesadillas I made a few years ago in a cooking class I lead for 9 and 10 year olds.  They loved them and so did I!  
For this recipe you can most definitely prepare dried lentils according to their packaging however, I am but one person and can't really rationalize making a whole batch of lentils for just me.  Plus, using canned lentils speeds up the process tenfold and who has time for that during the work week?  
I will definitely be making this recipe again and again for an endless string of vegetarian/Mexican dinners!




Lentil Taco Salad
Recipe by Ali Caron
Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients:
Taco Filling:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1-2  medium carrots, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 can low sodium lentils
1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or combine smoked paprika, chili powder and/or Sriracha to taste)

For Salad:
Lettuce
Tomatoes
Shredded cheese
Greek yogurt

Directions:
Add olive oil, shallots and carrots to medium saucepan over low-medium heat.  Stirring frequently, cook until tender.  Add garlic, lentils and seasonings and stir until heated through.  Use filling to top salads, tacos or quesadillas.
To prepare salad, add lettuce to bowl.  Top with about 3/4 cup lentils, shredded cheese, chopped tomatoes and a dollop of Greek yogurt.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Tacos are my favorite already and all the other ingredients look absolutely tasty too so I'm sure this will turn out amazing, I'm making this salad as soon as possible, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete