8.25.2014

Avocado Tuna Boats

Hope you all had a fantastic weekend!  I can feel a hint Fall in the air and I'm loving it!
Okay, truth time.  I'm not the biggest fan of mayonnaise.  I know some of you love it but about a year or two ago I was noticing I was adding the teeniest drop of mayo to tuna, egg or potato salads because I just didn't like the taste.  I figured there had to be a more flavorful way so now I usually season my tuna with olive oil and lemon juice.  This brightens the fish right up and makes it a great addition to salads or on its own with crackers.  The fact that it is lower in calories is just an added bonus.
Occasionally, when I'm looking for a light lunch I turn to this tuna salad with avocado.  I bulk up the tuna with tomatoes, onions and peppers and serve on top of half a ripe avocado.  It makes for a pretty, delicate meal and is perfect for sharing.  The avocado adds creaminess that some of the mayo fans may be missing.






Avocado Tuna Boats
Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados
1 - 5oz can of solid white tuna fish, drained
1/4 cup diced onion or shallot
1/4 cup diced orange pepper
1/4 cup diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste

Directions: 
Flake tuna with a fork and combine gently with onion, tomatoes and peppers in a small bowl.  Pour in olive oil and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Slice avocados in half and remove the pit.  Top each half with a quarter of the tuna salad and serve.

Nutrition Facts: 274 Calories, 23g Fat, 11g Carbohydrates, 9g Protein, 7g Fiber, 81mg Sodium , 602mg Potassium

No comments:

Post a Comment