8.03.2014

Lovely Lemon Rosemary Scones

Ah, Saturday.  I am facing a seven-day work week so this Saturday was a welcome day off and I decided to relax a little and enjoy it.  I went to my friend Sarah's wedding in the afternoon and it was absolutely beautiful.  As usual, I visited the Farmer's Market after my coffee and I made a stop to the grocery store as well for a few items for breakfast.  I decided to spend a little extra time and make these Lemon Rosemary Scones.



As I have mentioned before, I am not a baker.  I actually don't enjoy it the way I do cooking because I like to change the recipe too much which is never a good idea in baking.  That said, these scones are wonderful and if I can make them, you definitely can.   

I did take a risk and made a few healthy changes. I know, I can't help it, it's an addiction.  I added Greek yogurt which allows you to replace an entire stick of butter, while adding protein.  I also swapped in 1/2 a cup of white flour for whole wheat flour.  Lastly, I cut out the sugar entirely and put in just a touch of agave nectar.  

The outside is slightly crispy while the inside is soft.  The sweet glaze pairs well with the fresh lemon and piney rosemary.  These scones are a great addition to brunch or with afternoon tea.  I dare you to eat just one!








Dogs like yogurt in scones, too!












Lovely Lemon Rosemary Scones
Makes about 16 scones

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour (plus extra for work surface)
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup vanilla non-fat Greek yogurt
1/2 cup 2% milk
3 tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
zest of 1 1/2 lemons
juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 tbsp. agave nectar

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1 1/2 tbsp. 2% milk
zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp fresh rosemary leaves, finely chopped
dash of salt

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Prepare the glaze and set aside to allow flavors to come together.

In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients with a whisk or sift.  Cut cold butter into 1/2 inch cubes and work into dry ingredients until pea-sized pieces remain.  Stir in yogurt until well mixed.  Add in half of the milk, lemon juice, lemon zest and rosemary.  If dough looks dry add in additional milk 1 tbsp. at a time.

Coat work surface, hands and dough if needed with extra flour (I used whole wheat).  Work into large rectangle, until dough is 1/2 inch thick, smoothing the edges as you go.  Cut dough into 12 rectangles and cut each rectangle diagonally.  If using a cooking stone, flour the stone and place scones about 2-3 inches apart.  Otherwise, place scones on parchment paper or baking mat on a cookie sheet.  Bake for 18 minutes or until golden brown.

Allow scones to cool and drizzle with glaze (there will likely be some left over).


Nutrition Facts: 130 Calories, 6g Fat, 17g Carbohydrates, 3g Protein, 1g Fiber, 121mg Sodium, 69mg Potassium


No comments:

Post a Comment