7.15.2014

Oven Roasted Salsa and Mango Salsa

Salsa is one of those things I always buy and yet hate to buy. I mean what it is really but a bunch of vegetables chopped and whipped together?  And those jars at the grocery store can get pretty pricey. 

I’ll be honest; I’m not picky about my salsas.  I like thin, chunky, mild, and spicy, with corn, black beans or mango.  Different versions can go well on fish, as a salad topping and of course with chips or nachos.  Adding a Mexican flair to your meal can be the perfect way to spice up your dish, vegetarian or otherwise. 



A few weeks back I decided to make my own Oven Roasted Salsa.  This was before the farmer’s markets in our area had really opened with full force and I can’t wait to recreate this with local, organic produce. Happily, the stars of the show (i.e. tomatoes) I bought were from a local farmer who sells to my grocery store. 


I can't be the only one who thinks chopping vegetables is therapeutic, right?


Oven Roasted Salsa


More recently I had wanted to try lettuce wraps.  To me, these were reminiscent of a spring roll as I made them with shrimp, carrots, cucumbers and topped with mango salsa.  While delicious, these babies are difficult to transport from plate to mouth and I was thankful to be audience-free while shoveling them down. 


Mango Salsa




Oven Roasted Salsa
Makes about 2 cups

Ingredients:
2-3 large tomatoes
2-3 small bell peppers (yellow, red or orange)
1 large shallot
1 jalapeno, halved with seeds removed (optional)
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. lime juice
salt to taste
cilantro (optional)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400ยบ.   Chop tomatoes, peppers, shallot and jalapeno into large pieces.  Peel garlic and add whole cloves to baking sheet along with other vegetables.  Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.  Bake for 25 minutes.

Remove from oven and let cool.  Add to blender or food processor along with lime juice and cilantro.  Pulse until desired texture.  Add salt to taste. Store in jar in refrigerator for up to one week.



Mango Salsa
Makes 2 cups

Ingredients:
¾ cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
1 orange pepper, diced
½ shallot, diced
½ cup mango*, diced
½ avocado, diced
1 tsp. lime juice
¼ tsp. garlic powder
chili powder to taste
salt to taste
cilantro (optional)

Directions:
Place cut tomatoes, pepper, shallot, mango and avocado in a small bowl.  Add lime juice, garlic powder, chili powder and salt.  Combine gently.  Adjust seasonings to taste. 


*I keep frozen mango in my freezer for this recipe and just allow to thaw and cut into smaller cubes.

No comments:

Post a Comment